GNHI is one of the oldest research and teaching institutions in Georgia, the origin of which dates back to the end of the 18th century, specifically, to 1892, when for the first time, the Chemical Testing Laboratory for Food Safety and Quality control was established by the Georgian Government in Tbilisi, Georgia.
In 1926, this laboratory served as a basis for establishing the Tbilisi Public Health Institute, which, in 1966, was further reorganized into the Scientific-Research Institute of Hygiene of the Ministry of Public Health of the Soviet-Socialistic Republic of Georgia in USSR. Since the restoration of independence of Georgia in 1991, GNHI has undergone many developments and changes.
In 2012, GNHI became a private research institute, significantly broadening a spectrum of its activities in the areas of hygiene, medical ecology, food safety and environmental safety. In 2013-2014, GNHI was ranked 3rd among the top seven companies in Georgia, and 2rd among the top three companies operating specifically in Tbilisi, according to the Union of National Business Ratings (NBR) based on the official comprehensive ranking data of the National Statistics Office of Georgia (GEOSTAT). In 2014-2016, GNHI received the gold rating from NBR under the category of “the general and financial management” in both Georgia national-wide and Tbilisi locally, and was named as a leader company among the top 10 leading companies of the country.